The student news site of Westbrook High School

Torch Tribune

School Diversity Shown Larger Than Life

Mr. Johnson, Adviser

The Westbrook Art Department is proud to present “Your Story”, By senior WHS student, Trina Sayed.  The installation is a series of  Black & White large format portraits featuring the WHS student body.  The collection of portraits is displayed along the exterior student entrance of the building.  The project has been a two-year process, whose purpose is to recognize and celebrate the growing diversity in Westbrook.

These are the words from the artist:

“My project began last year when I had an independent study with Ms. Bickford and Madame Fournier called Language Perception and Culture. I studied how language and art influence our perception of the world and what that may lead to. Through my research of art activism, I came across J.R’s Inside Out project. It is a global art project that allows individuals to make a statement for a cause they feel passionate about. Over the past two years, I have been developing a photo installation that embraces our diverse community. It has gone through many changes, and now it is finally coming to fruition as YOURStory. I am happy to present to you these portraits of our students representing the numerous countries and backgrounds they come from. This project is a celebration of our diverse student body, I hope you enjoy!”

1 Comment

One Response to “School Diversity Shown Larger Than Life”

1. Madame Fournier on April 30th, 2016 4:45 pm

Trina, I am so proud that you followed through on this project … it looks fabulous. Bon travail!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

School Diversity Shown Larger Than Life